It's so easy to live in this country and spend all your time looking up: to want a bigger apartment or house, to want more money or more things, to want and want and want until all you have to show for yourself and your life is stuff. I am no different - I sometimes expend so much energy gazing upward that I forget about what is right in front of me. I once read some article that cautioned people about the dangers of "as soon as." As soon as I get a new car, I'll be happier. As soon as I get a promotion, things will get better. The truth is that most of us could think of scores of these types of statements pretty easily. So I've decided to make the conscious and deliberate effort to stop this habit. It's not easy, especially in this hyper-commercialized and materialistic society. Have you seen this? It was all over the place one day about a week ago when I happened to be feeling pretty down. It's funny and does help to lift the spirits. Remember this John Mayer song? It's from the great movie Bucket List, and there is one part that really resonates with me:
Take all of your so-called problems
Better put 'em in quotations
| Blessed. |
I have love all around me from an amazing husband and the best family on the planet.
I have been born into extreme, undeserving privilege, where I have an unfair advantage over the vast majority of the world's population just by existing.
I have plenty of money to put a roof over my head, feed myself good food, and buy superfluous stuff that I don't even remotely need.
I have wonderful friends and a really sweet dog.
I have a fun, rewarding, and challenging job that keeps me on my toes and makes me a better person every day.
I have a great life.
So many people have so much less, yet I want. I don't know if I'll ever extricate myself from desire all together, but the simply process of remembering what I have is extremely helpful and does make me/keep me a very happy person. So, shucks, I'm not yet enlightened and I haven't reached nirvana - not even close - but I have plenty of time to get there.



Love this post! And so true. Nick and I tease each other all the time about our "first world problems" when we're whining too much. Life is good.
ReplyDelete