Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Reframe

Everyone has bad days at work, and lately I have had what I consider to be a disproportionate number of them.  The honeymoon period of the first months of school is over and I am unspririsingly entering the super-self-critical stage of the year.  It's freaking crunch time and there is too much to be done for me to waste my emotional energy on anything but the kids.

I have come to realize that the recent bad days have been merely a matter of maladjusted perspective.  My kids are awesome.  I should not care about anything else.  Yesterday I let a bad afternoon ruin my entire day, but nothing should have been able to discount the fact that earlier in the day my kids got their highest class averages yet on an exam, and that I had a significant number of kids master every standard I tested them on, including one girl who told me during advisory that this year so far has made her "love math so much."  I've reworked my mindset and I'm ready to let go of the nonsense.  I do love my job 99% of the time, and the 1% can pretty much just go to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment